Kevin Ross (inmate)

Kevin Ross (inmate)

Next Parole Hearing : April 2020 


Kevin Ross stabbed his sister and 10-year-old nephew to death

Kevin Ross
Kevin Ross
Inmate Name: Kevin Ross
Inmate Number: A151362
Victims: Georgina Phelps, Gregory Hunt
Offenses: Murder x 2
Min/ Max Sentence: 30 Years – Life
Next Parole Hearing: April 2020

Case Summary

Kevin Ross slit the throats of his sister and 10-year-old nephew and planned to kill his entire family to get more inheritance. Ross, who had both a history of violence and metal problems, was being treated at a veterans hospital at the time of the murders. Ross received two consecutive life sentences for his crimes and now comes up for parole every five years.

Kevin Ross Case

A Brutal, Violent Murder

On July 12, 1977 Cleveland Ohio Police responded to a call from Arthur Phelps. Mr. Phelps had returned home from working at his job at the Standard Oil Company and found the bodies of his wife Georgina and ten-year-old step son Gregory Hunt in the living room of their home. Both had been stabbed and blood was everywhere.

When police arrived they found Gregory on a recliner. His throat had been cut ear-to-ear severing his trachea, esophagus, right common carotid artery, and right jugular veins. He had almost been decapitated. Gregory also had superficial wounds to his neck and collarbone.

Georgina was found on the floor. Her neck had been slashed. She also had multiple stab wounds to her face, neck, body, and upper and lower extremities. There were multiple slash wounds to her hands indicating she fought hard to live before she was killed.

A Suspected Killer Emerges

Initially police arrested Arthur Phelps, however after speaking with Mr. Phelps and two of Georgina’s sisters they began to focus on Georgina’s brother Kevin Ross. Ross had a history of mental illness and was currently confined at the Veterans Hospital for a mental condition.

When police contacted the Veterans Hospital the staff advised them that Ross did have homicidal tendencies. They said when Ross became disturbed he would become violent and it would take several attendants to restrain him. Police learned that Ross was committed voluntarily so he had to ability to come and go from the hospital during the day.

When police searched Ross’ room at the hospital they found an RTA bus schedule on the dresser and one of the stops was two minutes from the victims home. Police also found a pair of men’s pants, orange sweater, and brown leather shoes, which appeared to have bloodstains on them. Police later determined the blood on the shoes matched the blood of the victims.

Police spoke with one of Georgina’s neighbors who positively identified Ross as the man she witnessed going to the victim’s side porch and be let in by the victim at 11:00AM on the day of the murder. She said 15 minutes later she saw Ross standing in front of a store wearing the same sweater and pants police found at the VA Hospital. Police also spoke with Ross’ mother who said two years prior he got upset with her and told her he was going to kill her. He then cut her causing her to be confined at Lakeside Hospital.

While they were looking for Ross police received a call from the VA Hospital. Upon arriving they learned a groundskeeper had found one white towel with red stains on it, a ten-inch knife with a six-inch blade with blood and hair on it, and a pair of blue denim pajamas. All the items were hidden in the bushes around the grounds.

Prior to Georgina’s and Gregory’s funeral police received a call from Ross’ sister. She told them that Ross called one of the deacons at the temple where the funeral was taking place. Ross told the deacon he knew the funeral would be at that temple and he was going to wipe out the rest of the family. Ross’ sister also told police that Kevin Ross hated children since he was a child and he believed if he got rid of his sisters he would get more inheritance. Police accompanied the funeral procession however Ross did not appear.

A Killer Is Found And Convicted

On July 26, 1977 police received a call from an army sergeant who was a recruiter in the Cleveland area. The sergeant had seen Ross’ picture in the local newspaper. He told police that Ross had enlisted in the army in June as was inducted on July 14, 1977, two days after the murders. He said Ross had been sent to Fort Bliss Texas for training. Police called Fort Bliss and were advised that Ross reported on July 14 however he began acting irrational two days later and was involved in a fight. He was then confined to he maximum-security unit of the Fort Bliss Army Hospital. The El Paso Texas Sheriff’s Office was contacted and Ross was arrested at the hospital. Three Cleveland Police Officers went to Texas and brought Ross back to Ohio.

Ross went to trial and attempted to use an insanity defense. A psychiatrist, who interviewed Ross both the day before and the day after the murders, testified that Ross knew the difference between right and wrong. Prosecutors also had overwhelming evidence including the shoes found in Ross’ room with the victim’s blood on them and the neighbor who placed Ross at the scene the day of the murders. On May 16, 1977 a jury found Ross guilty of two counts of murder. The trial court then sentenced Ross to two consecutive (back to back) life sentences.

A History of Violence and Poor Rehabilitation

These were not Ross’ first violent acts. He had pervious convictions for carrying a loaded concealed weapon in 1971 and another conviction a year later for aggravated assault. Ross’ parole records do not indicate much has changed in the last 30 plus years. He has a long history of infractions including multiple fights with other inmates, disobedience violations, and an incident where he stated to a nurse “F… you bitch.” Ross’ records from May 2010 state, “Inmate’s overall institutional conduct has been checkered” and “Inmate has ongoing mental health difficulties that would make placement in the community extremely difficult.”

No Parole

Releasing Kevin Ross at any point would be a complete injustice to Georgina Phelps and Gregory Hunt. It would also demean his cruelty to them. Placing Ross back on the streets at any point would also pose an incredible risk to the community. Based on Ross’ horrific crimes, his poor rehabilitation, and his serious mental problems we believe he should be required to serve the two consecutive life sentences he was given in 1977. To further the interests of justice and to protect society we urge the Ohio Parole Board to give Kevin Ross the maximum continuance of ten years before his next parole hearing.